Rugby Ontario High Performance Manager David Butcher to run a two-part front row session in Burlington, Ont., open to Ontario coaches and aspiring provincial athletes.
(TORONTO, ON) – Rugby Ontario has announced that High Performance Manager David Butcher will run a front row development and provincial program talent identification session at Burlington Centaurs Rugby Football Club on Mar. 26, 2016.
Butcher, a 13-year professional prop in leagues across the United Kingdom and Europe, will lead the session, and will be joined by former Canadian national team props Tom Dolezel and Dan Pletch.
Rugby Ontario provincial coaching staff will be looking to identify male and female players interested in developing front row skills, and are aspiring to play within the Ontario Blues senior and under-19 men’s provincial program and the Ontario Storm senior and under-20 women’s provincial program. Ontario Blues and Storm program coaches will also be in attendance, assisting with session content and player identification.
Session space is limited to 40 male and female players, with age range limited to those who fall between the under-19 (turning 19 in 2016) and under-25 (turning 25 in 2016) age grades. Athletes are required to pre-register for this session, and to bring rugby attire appropriate for a full contact training session.
Prior to the player development and talent identification portion of the session, Butcher will lead a coaching presentation on scrum development. This presentation is open to all interested coaches across the province.
– Specific exercises to develop functional strength for scrummaging
– Individual body shape and control
– Technique development
– Scrum process
1:45-2:45 p.m. – Coaching Presentation [Coaches to arrive at 1:30 p.m.]
3:00-4:00 p.m. – Practical; Player Development & Talent Identification
Session Registration (Players):
– Step 1: Visit https://rcmembers.sportngin.com/register/form/740100885
– Step 2: Log in, or create a Sport Ngin account
– Step 3: Complete registration and payment (credit and debit cards accepted)
* Coaches do not need to register to attend this session
– Players who are registered as a 2015 Full Member with a Rugby Ontario club for the 2015 season (May 1, 2015 – Apr. 30, 2016): $20 Session Fee
* Rugby Canada Insurance fee previously paid during 2015 Full Member registration
– Players who are NOT currently registered as a Full Member with a Rugby Ontario club for the 2015 Season (May 1, 2015 – Apr. 30, 2016): $20 Session Fee + $45 Rugby Canada Preseason Insurance Fee
– It is mandatory that all participating players are covered by the Rugby Canada National Insurance Policy. During the registration, registrants will be prompted to select the appropriate fee structure based on the above criteria.
– Players must register by 5 p.m. on Mar. 22, 2016
The session is complimentary for coaches.